Sunday, August 25, 2013

Adaptability

So much of what I've heard and read about kids with ASD is how they crave predictable structured routine and wig out at major deviations/change. So I've been dreading the effect our house-move would have on Nyx. Well, our little monkey surprised me!

For a week now, we've been packing up. Our middle daughter was visiting from out of town. Playgroups were missed. Car trips were short and frequent. Meals were off schedule, bedtime and naps all over the place. Chaos, right?  Kiddo took it all in stride. Minimal fussing, (mostly) easily settled or distracted (although she had a major meltdown this evening when my wife and I both had to go out suddenly and Big Sister had to pinch-hit for awhile).

Most amazing of all, she spent 90% of Friday without me, spent Friday night at her Grandparents' house, and stayed with them until dinnertime Saturday. Didn't faze her. I am blown away at how easily she has handled all this. Even first bedtime in a new bed in a new room was no fuss - music, snuggles, sleep. 

So I guess the lesson here is that as long as she has "her people" and her stuff, she can cope with sudden change pretty darn well. Better, I think, then her parents do!

No comments:

Post a Comment